When you look up the definition of “community”, you’ll find the following:
- a unified body of individuals: such as the people with common interests living in a particular area, or
- a group of people with a common characteristic or interest living together within a larger society.
Warroad is one of two communities currently going through NMF’s Communities Thrive program. Through this process they have identified priority areas (such as community education, wellness, arts and culture).
In June, The Warroad Area Community Fund (WACF) announced their 2019 grant award recipients. A total of $152,275 was awarded to 22 local groups and organizations. Additionally, NMF awarded $50,000 to seven projects through the Communities Thrive program.
The WACF held a joint reception with NMF at the Warroad Senior Living Center on June 19th to celebrate this years’ grant recipients. Brenda Baumann and Mark Bertilrud, WACF advisory committee members, presented the WACF grant awards and Nate Dorr, NMF vice president for advocacy, presented the NMF Communities Thrive awards. Below you will find a list of the projects that were funded.
“This year we gave out more grant awards than we’ve ever done in the past,” said Brenda. “We live in an amazing community. This money has been raised by area donors and is now going directly back to support projects that enhance the quality of life for all Warroad residents.”
The partnership between NMF and the entire Warroad community shows just how much can be accomplished when resources, great ideas, and passionate individuals come together. A grant total of $202,275 was invested to provide infrastructure enhancements, community festival and cultural events, educational opportunities for residents of all ages, and support for sports and music programs.
To learn more about NMF’s work with community philanthropy, click here.
WARROAD GRANT RECIPIENTS
Warroad Area Community Fund – $152,275
- Double Sharp Strings Club
- Keys for Kids- Community Concerts
- Weekend Food for Children
- Lao Traditional Dance and Art Program
- Movies in the Park
- Laketrails Northern MN Youth Camperships
- Folk School Warroad Launch
- Warroad Softball Complex Fencing
- Warroad Market and October Festival
- Warroad Lookout Tower
- Warroad Heritage Center: Enriching Community Service
Warroad Education Fund
- Building for the Future
- West African Music & Culture Artist Residence
- Warroad Special Education Flexible Seating
- Skater Tots
Gaylord Gunderson Fund
- CTE Refurbish and Renew
- Quilting for the Future
- Warroad Public Schools School Garden
- Hands-on History and Science Interdisciplinary Labs
- Warroad Elementary Special Ed Flexible Seating
Warroad Point Restoration Fund
- Warroad Point Lookout Tower
Warroad Swim Program
- Warroad Public Schools Indoor Pool
Communities Thrive Program – $50,000
- City of Warroad for new benches downtown
- City of Warroad for a safe harbor planning project
- Lao Assistance Center for healthy living and youth activities
- Warroad Elementary School for a Gaga ball pit
- Warroad Community Partners for a Best of Warroad map
- Warroad Community Partners for October Festival
• Warroad Community Partners for Folk School Warroad startup